General emergency alarm signal : Seven or more short blast followed by one long blast
Emergency:- Immediate Action Required/Members of The Team
Fire and Explosion:-
- Raise fire alarm
- Determine location of fire/explosion
- Check for oil/hazardous substances pollution and possibility of one.
- Determine any casualties & provide First Aid, if necessary.
- Contain and extinguish the fire (use fixed system if necessary).
- Set up Emergency distress communication system and keep ready for use.
Command Team (C/T) Duties:-
- Fix ship’s position and record all movements/ events
- Compile communication reports and monitor weather conditions.
- Inform technical department & DPA and advise status
- Determine possibility of sinking, breaking up or capsizing in due course
- Exhibit required signals & broadcast safety message
- Inform relevant authorities, and for shore assistance required.
Emergency Team(E/T) Duties:-
- Chief officer in charge of deck emergency
- 2nd Eng in charge of Engine Emergency
- Identify and assess source and report to Command Team(C/T)
- Contain and extinguish the fire
- Check for oil pollution and act accordingly
- Check stability criteria and stress
- Assess extent of damage to vessel/cargo.
Support Team (S / T) Duties:-
- Provide first aid
- Prepare Life Boats
- Shut all water tight doors and vents
- Assist as directed
Engine Room / Roving Team (R / T) Duties:-
- Attend to E/R services and controls
- Report status of M/E & aux equipment to Command
- Stop vent & isolate electrical supply if required.
- When a fire alarm is sounded it is to be left ringing till stopped by the master, master after stopping the fire alarm will sound the emergency signal.
- For emergency stations crew must carry the life jacket and elsa to their muster stations, life jackets to be worn only at abandon ship
- Drills to be conducted in such a way as if they are real.
- Fire alarm is indicated by continuous ringing of the bell (…………)