General emergency alarm signal : Seven or more short blast followed by one long blast
Emergency:- Immediate Action Required/Members of The Team
- Release Life Buoy, take avoiding action and raise emergency alarm.
- Revert to manual steering and reduce main engine to maneuvering speed.
- Post extra lookouts and plot position of the vessel relative to man overboard (MOB)
- Sound MOB signal and broadcast MOB message to vessels/ coast station.
- Recover MOB and administer First Aid
- Broadcast result to ships in the vicinity & relevant authorities
Command Team (C/T) Duties:-
- Fix vessels’s position and use position of MOB/Life Buoy as the search datum.
- Operate Radar/Nav. Aids and search light with extra lookouts posted.
- Compile communication report and broadcast MOB message.
- Inform technical dept. & DPA of the situation.
- Manoeuvre vessel to rescue MOB/ carry out search as per MERSAR
- Conduct inquiry to obtain information on MOB/missing.
Emergency Team(E/T) Duties:-
- Provide additional manpower to the bridge for lookout
- Conduct search onboard if man missing
- Prepare motor life boat (rescue boat) for launching.
- Carry out rescue operations as directed.
Support Team (S / T) Duties:-
- Prepare to receive survivors & provide First Aid
- Assist as directed
Engine Room / Roving Team (R / T) Duties:-
- Attend to E/ R service and controls.
- Report status of main engine and auxiliary equipment to C/T
- When a fire alarm is sounded it is to be left ringing till stopped by the master, master after stopping the fire alarm will sound the emergency signal.
- For emergency stations crew must carry the life jacket and elsa to their muster stations, life jackets to be worn only at abandon ship
- Drills to be conducted in such a way as if they are real.
- Fire alarm is indicated by continuous ringing of the bell (…………)