General emergency alarm signal : Seven or more short blast followed by one long blast
Emergency:- Immediate Action Required/Members of The Team
STEERING GEAR FAILURE:-
- Revert to manual steering or else to emergency /alternative steering system.
- Exhibit NUC signals and broadcast security message
- Summon for additional assistance to the bridge and the steering gear compartment.
- Check faults on bridge steering gear system and assess overall situation.
Command Team (C/T) Duties:-
- Fix ship’s position and record all movements/ events
- Exhibit NUC signals and broadcast SECURITY message
- Consider manoeuvring using emergency steering, engines & thrusters to avoid immediate dangers.
- Compile communication reports and inform Tech dept & DPA on situation.
- Summon for additional men on the bridge & consider
Emergency Team(E/T) Duties:-
- Prepare for anchoring
- Determine cause of failure and inform C/T
- Effect immediate repairs and keep C/T informed of progress and anticipated time of completion.
- Try out emergency steering and all alternatives
- Assist as directed
Support Team (S / T) Duties:-
- Provide First aid.
- Prepare Life Boats
- Assist as directed.
Engine Room / Roving Team (R / T) Duties:-
- Attend E/R services and controls
- Report status of aux equipment to C/T
- When a fire alarm is sounded it is to be left ringing till stopped by the master, master after stopping the fire alarm will sound the emergency signal.
- For emergency stations crew must carry the life jacket and elsa to their muster stations, life jackets to be worn only at abandon ship
- Drills to be conducted in such a way as if they are real.
- Fire alarm is indicated by continuous ringing of the bell (…………)