The propeller with perfect pitch/diameter ratio will be the one whose propeller power curve and engine HP curve meets at maximum RPM. Therefore, a propeller curve is a very much significance for chief engineer
Significance of propeller curve
- Helps in identifying the overload operation area and act accordingly
- Load diameter defines power and speed limits for continues as well as overload operation.
- Point ‘M’ is 100% reference point of speed and power
- C/E can analyse condition of Hull & Propeller.
- MEP is in range or not.
- Whether engine is operating in continuous operating area.
- Area between 4 & 1 is available for operation in shallow water and heavy weather.