General emergency alarm signal : Seven or more short blast followed by one long blast
Emergency:- Immediate Action Required/Members of The Team
- Stop main engine & raise emergency alarm
- Exhibit lights & shapes & sound signal for vessel aground
- Take all round sounding, seabed sample and check tidal range & currents.
- Check for oil/hazardous substance pollution or possibility of one.
- In case of pollution occuring, report details to nearest coast station immediately including owners, charterers and interested parties.
- Effect necessary damage and pollution controls actions.
- Do not leave the area untill both vessels involved in the collision are safe
Command Team (C/T) Duties:-
- Fix ship’s position and record all movements/ events
- Exhibit required signals, monitor weather condition & tides/current.
- Compile communication reports, inform tech. Dept , DPA and advise status
- Transmit safety broadcast and inform E/R to change over to high sea suction.
- Exercise damage control to reduce danger to crew, vessel & cargo.
- Consider listing, trimming & internal transfer and/ or ballasting/ deballasting water and/or jettison cargo to assist in refloating.
Emergency Team(E/T) Duties:-
- Conduct visual inspection of damage & report to C/T
- Take all round sea bed sounding & sample and ballast & bilge sounding
- Check for oil/hazardous substance pollution and act accordingly
- Calculate buoyancy need to refloat and check stability criteria & stress.
- Shut all water tight access and isolate any penetrated tanks by closing hermetically.
- Determine possibility of sinking, breaking up or capsize in event of trying to re-float.
- Take E/R bilge & fuel soundings.
Support Team (S / T) Duties:-
- Provide First aids.
- Prepare life boats
- Assist as directed.
Engine Room / Roving Team (R / T) Duties:-
- Attend to E/R services and controls
- Report status of M/E & Aux equipments to C/T
- When a fire alarm is sounded it is to be left ringing till stopped by the master, master after stopping the fire alarm will sound the emergency signal.
- For emergency stations crew must carry the life jacket and elsa to their muster stations, life jackets to be worn only at abandon ship
- Drills to be conducted in such a way as if they are real.
- Fire alarm is indicated by continuous ringing of the bell (…………)