General emergency alarm signal : Seven or more short blast followed by one long blast
Emergency:- Immediate Action Required/Members of The Team
- Slow down. Stop main engine and raise emergency alarm
- Determine if any casualties suffered and render first aid if necessary.
- Check for oil/hazardous substances, pollution and possibility of one.
- Notify technical department, DPA & relevant authorities.
- Assess the immediate danger of sinking and capsizing.
If yes –
- Send out distress message
- Prepare to evacuate vessel
If No –
- Initiate damage control measures
- Ensure adequate stability.
- Monitor situation
Command Team (C/T) Duties:-
- Fix ship’s position and record all movements/ events
- Compile communication reports & inform Tech dept. & DPA on situation.
- Monitor latest weather forecast & assess impact on present situation.
- Exercise damage control to reduce danger to crew, vessel & cargo.
- Consider jettison of cargo to save the vessel.
- Consider ballasting /deballasting /transfer water/ fuel to correct stability of vessel.
Emergency Team(E/T) Duties:-
- Conduct visual inspection of damage & report to C/T
- Check for oil pollution & act accordingly.
- Take all ballast /bilge and fuel tank sounding.
- Check stability criteria and stress for present & worst anticipated conditions.
- Effect damage control and ensure adequate stability.
- Ensure cargo intact & all water tight doors and ventilators shut.
- Take fuel tank and engine room bilge soundings.
Support Team (S / T) Duties:-
- Provide First aids.
- Prepare life boats
- Assist as directed.
Engine Room / Roving Team (R / T) Duties:-
- Attend to E/R services and controls
- Report status of M/E & Aux equipments to C/T
- When a fire alarm is sounded it is to be left ringing till stopped by the master, master after stopping the fire alarm will sound the emergency signal.
- For emergency stations crew must carry the life jacket and elsa to their muster stations, life jackets to be worn only at abandon ship
- Drills to be conducted in such a way as if they are real.
- Fire alarm is indicated by continuous ringing of the bell (…………)